Where did the money go?
Back in 2003, the AUS was given $130,000 in exchange for providing McGill with some space in the Arts Building basement which McGill subsequently leased to a Subway franchisee. The $130,000 was deposited by the AUS into a GIC, which gave an interest of approximately 3% annually. This $130,000 was reduced to $110,000 by 2009, further reduced to $90,000 by 2010, and when my term started, was non-existent.
This GIC had constituted the only long term savings/investments the AUS had. In 2011-2012, when the AUS had run out of funds to pay for its operations (because of no student fees transfers from McGill), the executive of that year decided to liquidate the GIC to pay for operations. However, as soon as they liquidated and deposited the $90,000 into the checking account, it was immediately frozen by Revenu Quebec due to the several years of non-payment of taxes.
Seeking aid from McGill
The AUS executive of 2011-2012 then had no other option left except to seek assistance from McGill, which they were granted after strenuous negotiations.
Similarly, the AUS in 2009-2010 had promised McGill a Notice To Readers (NTR) for the previous year and a full audit for the 2009-10 year, if McGill released their student fees. They got the fees released but failed to provide what they promised. The AUS for 2010-11 promised McGill NTRs for 08-09, 09-10 and a full audit for 2010-11. Again, they got the student fees but failed to provide any of that. And as mentioned before, the executive in 2011-2012 promised NTRs for all the previous years and a full audit for their year. This promise was also not upheld during that year, though the process for obtaining the NTRs was initiated.
So, by the time I started my term in 2012-2013, McGill gave no value to the promises made by AUS executives. This was the context under which I (along with the AUS President) had to negotiate with the McGill administration.
Promises made and kept
We promised McGill to clear all outstanding NTRs and to provide a full audit for the 2012-2013 year. After several rounds of meeting, we managed to convince the administration that we knew what we were doing, and would deliver on our promises. We provided them with our debt repayment schedule, to inform them of when we would be needing cash inflows. They mapped specific milestones to each release of student fees as a pre-condition.
These milestones were in the form of letters from our accountants detailing the progress made in compiling and producing the financial statements. Accountants are notoriously difficult to get any official letters laying out the timelines for completing work from, which is what McGill wanted. So I had to balance the demands placed by McGill with what I knew I could extract from our accountants and negotiate with both of them to strike that balance.
I’ll go over what exactly I had to do to get the NTRs done in the next post